Re: Worldly Thoughts - Regionalizing Peering

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Sun May 12 09:42:43 1996
  • Phone: (617) 873-4398
  • Usmail: 150 CambridgePark Drive, Cambridge, MA, 02140

At 8:24 PM 5/11/96, Alan Hannan wrote:

>  The model scales well, imho.  Regionalize your network into
>  pieces.  Apply each of the pieces into 1 or more proximities to a
>  NAP|MAE.

Been there, done that....     I've already stated my view on the
scalability of such arrangements.

>  Benefit:  I gain low latency transit to most everyone.
>
>  Drawback:  It is technically challenging to create an automate
>  system to regionalize and create appropriate filter lists.

It also complicates every peering relationship and multi-homed
customer connection, as you have to worry about both multiple
external AS's and your internal routing redistribution from all
of these regional routing clouds.

If you presume a fairly dense set of interconnects among transit
providers, then you're not going to get a significant improvement
in latency despite the added complexity.

/John