Re: Worldly Thoughts

  • From: Erik Sherk
  • Date: Sat May 11 18:34:28 1996

> >From:  Erik Sherk[SMTP:[email protected]]
>
> >> From:  David Schwartz aka Joel Katz[SMTP:[email protected]]
> >> 	Let's look at a hypothetical situation. ISP1 peers at MAE-E and
> >> buys transit from MCI there. Now they ask Sprint to peer with them.
> Let's
> >> look at how they reach sites on the west coast.
> >
> >This is a violation of the rules of Mae-East: it is not to be used for
> >customer connections. ISP1 must have a private connection to MCI.
> >
> >Erik
>
> Are you saying that MFS will not allow a private connection between two
> routers located at the MAE facility, even if the connection is _not_ made
> using the MAE FDDI switch, but is instead a direct (e.g. HSSI or AIP)
> connection between the two routers??  If so, I haven't seen any
> documentation to that effect...

MFS has nothing to do with this. The issue is using the shared
Internet resource (namely the GIGA Switch) to connect customers.
The original members of Mae-East aggreed to this when we set up
the first peering sessions. The exchanges are for peer to peer
traffic, not customer to vendor traffic.

Erik