Re: I-D (Re: Out of date contact information )

  • From: Robert Bowman
  • Date: Wed May 08 03:11:01 1996

> On Mon, 6 May 1996, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
>
> > At least with ANS "trouble" and "noc" are not synonymous.  NOC is lots
> > of people involved in network operations and normal trouble reporting
> > (can't get there from here reporting) need not bother the whole group.
> > Trouble is the current NOC staff on duty and are supposed to respond
> > immediately to mail in the trouble mailbox, usually openning a trouble
> > ticket and diagnosing the problem, in doing so starting the 15 minute
> > escallation timer for the oncall engineer.  They also in practice
> > respond immediately to mail in the NOC mailbox, but then a lot of
> > people not on duty have to delete the mail when they come on call
> > which just makes more work.
> >
> > If other providers have the same conventions or agree that these
> > conventions are usefull, then write them up however you like (more
> > briefly than I have done would be nice).
>
> Perhaps someone could collect the NOC practices and contact points for the
> major NSP's and write it up as an informational RFC.

The problem with this, as I see it, is the updating factor.  By the time
someone, whomever it may be, gets done getting the original information,
half of the contact people will have changed.

The idea of a reliable alias at each ISP/NSP is the best approach I think.

Robert Bowman
Sr. Hole Plugger
Exodus Communications Inc.
(408) 522-8473