Re: I-D (Re: Out of date contact information )

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon May 06 23:44:52 1996

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> At least with ANS "trouble" and "noc" are not synonymous.  NOC is lots
> of people involved in network operations and normal trouble reporting
> (can't get there from here reporting) need not bother the whole group.
> Trouble is the current NOC staff on duty and are supposed to respond
> immediately to mail in the trouble mailbox, usually openning a trouble
> ticket and diagnosing the problem, in doing so starting the 15 minute
> escallation timer for the oncall engineer.  They also in practice
> respond immediately to mail in the NOC mailbox, but then a lot of
> people not on duty have to delete the mail when they come on call
> which just makes more work.
>
> If other providers have the same conventions or agree that these
> conventions are usefull, then write them up however you like (more
> briefly than I have done would be nice).

Perhaps someone could collect the NOC practices and contact points for the
major NSP's and write it up as an informational RFC.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: [email protected]