Re: SONET Interconnect (was RE: MCI)

  • From: Tim Bass (@NANOG-LIST)
  • Date: Fri Mar 29 19:56:52 1996

Vadim continues:

[ ... ]

> >Do we need a real-time protocol that is highly reliable in the
> >world?  The answer, is of course YES.
>
> NO.  Name the single application which couldn't be run over
> lossy protocol.

Thats an easy one....

Any generic system that receives time sensitive real-time information from
numerous distributed nodes that must be processsed and relayed to
other processing stations *and* run the typical IP e-mail, ftp, httpd,
etc. packet services concurrently over the same pipes, as well as
network management traffic ad. infinitum.....

Running real time sensory data, for example that must arrive at remote
locations within a few milliseconds on a packet switched network,
for example.... I'll attach a few references for those who don't wish nor
have the time to pull down the 12 page postscript draft mentioned
earlier...

--------- attached --------

\bibitem[Ferrari90]{Ferrari90} Ferrari, Domenico,
{\em Client Requirements for Real-Time Communication Services},
IEEE Communications Magazine,  November 1990, pp. 65-72.

\bibitem[CSZ92]{CSZ92} Clark, D., Shenker, S., and Zhang, L.,
{\em Supporting Real-time Applications in an Integrated Services Packet Network:
Architecture and Mechanism}, ACM SIGCOM, September 1992.

%\bibitem[QoS95]{QoS95} Lee, W., Hluchyj, M., and Humblet, P,
%{\em Routing Subject to Quality of Service Constraints in Integrated Communications Networks},
%IEEE Network, July/August 1995, pp. 46-55.

\bibitem[Zhang87]{Zhang87}Zhang, Lixia,
{\em Designing a New Architecture for Packet Switching Communications},
IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 9, September 1987, pp. 5-12.

Hope these help, there are more......

Regards,

Tim