RE: SONET Interconnect (was RE: MCI)

  • From: Shikhar Bajaj
  • Date: Fri Mar 29 13:39:50 1996

> >According to Sean Doran:
> > Someone suggested to me that it's because so much money has
> > been spent on developing the technology that it HAS to be
> > used in order to recover the investment.
> >
> >Doesn't the fact that they recover the investment mean that enough
> >people wanted the product and were willing to pay for it?
> >
> >Shikhar
>
> Nah, rather that they woudln't get a choice or would not know
> better.  ATM is like a pyramid craze.

In this particular case, it has been (voraciously :)) pointed out that people
have other choices so I don't think that applies.  As for "people not knowing better,"
I'm not even going to touch that one.

> --vadim
>
> PS Can you say that loss writeoff is a way to recover investment?
>    I've certainly seen some clever accounting going on :)

True.  Writeoffs and depreciation are a way to recover some of your costs.  But
you still have to sell stuff to recover all of your investments.  But, I'm
not an accountant so I don't know how far these things can be stretched.

If you have any good ideas, pass them on.  April 15 is fast approaching.
Anyone got a router that I can use as a tax shelter? ;-)

Shikhar