Re: PPP over SONET (RFC-1619)

  • From: Shikhar Bajaj
  • Date: Thu Mar 21 13:11:35 1996

> RFC-1619 is a Proposed Standard, and may change based on the
> implementation experience of the vendors as it goes to Draft Standard.
>
> The only problem discovered so far is that some PTT equipment vendors
> did not implement the SONET Loss of State (LOS) test requirement of 2.3
> micro-seconds (119 unchanging zero/one bits at OC3), and instead
> implemented 73-bits, the minimum from G.958 for a badly designed timing
> recovery circuit.  Many vendors are currently 'going around' Bellcore
> by applying proprietary solutions to problems and convincing the RBOCs
> that it doesn't matter if they are in long term partnerships.
>
> ISO -- pick a standard, any standard.
>
> This, in turn, may require an extra scrambling to be required.  Not a
> big hardware commitment, though, but a serious annoyance.

Interesting.  If this happens, I can see lots of fun when trying to do
intercarrier interconnects.  Of course, they will first have to reconcile
these issues with their current SONET infrastructures.

Shikhar

(Standard Disclaimer:  the opinions expressed are strictly my own and are not
those of Bellcore)