Re: MCI

  • From: Arun Welch
  • Date: Tue Mar 19 12:39:17 1996

> On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, David Miller wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 [email protected] wrote:
> > What kinds of routers can route at near wire speeds a bunch of ports at
> > 155Mb ATM?
>
> None right now. Gigarouter can handle it theoretically, but...

We were able to get pretty close to "ATM wire speed" with our
Gigarouter at OSC. The trick of course is to find equipment that can
actually fill the pipe.

> I'm being picky, but it's a moot question since doing wirespeed OC3c using
> ATM is impossible in of itself.

Yup. There's work in progress to put IP directly on SONET, which should save
people with OC-3c backbones from paying the ATM penalty.

...arun
Arun Welch					5000 Arlington Centre Blvd
Lead Software Engineer				Columbus, OH 43220
CompuServe					[email protected]