Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Fri Mar 15 13:11:40 1996

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 00:40:24 -0500
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]>
>
> I'm arguing that they haven't ever really existed, except with
> government intervention to create them.

Guess this you could claim "government intervention" for most
anything, but I suggest you read up on Carnagie Steel, Standard Oil,
and a few others at the turn of the century.

And, if you want to claim that these were local, go out and buy a
diamond. While there are a few exceptions, DuBeers controlled the
world's diamond market totally until the past decade and still could
easily destroy the worlds diamond market in a day.

Yes, monopolies have and continue to exist. (A monopoly on IPv4
address space is very improbable and would certainly be short-lived,
though!)

R. Kevin Oberman
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
National Energy Research Supercomputer Center (NERSC)
EMAIL: [email protected]		Phone: +1 510 422-6955