Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: Tim Bass (com-priv)
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 11:31:40 1996

Dorian:

> There is no way to avoid renumbering. Every other plausible proposal I've
> seen have been renumbering under a different guise.

Yes, correct.  But the open issue is where in the hier' is the Best Place
to renumber:

(1)	End users; or
(2)	Intermediate systems (i.e. translation or encapsulation).

There is quite a big differnet technosophically in the approach
between (1) and (2).

High Regards,

Tim

postscript:  also, as engineers, we should not encourage an approach, IMO,
that further puts small businesses at a disadvantage ... namely (1).

| Tim Bass                           |                                   |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer |  "... images are the literature   |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |                 of the layman."   |
| http://www.silkroad.com/           |                     Umberto Eco   |