Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 08:47:51 1996

> clarification...this is over time...as opposed to an ISP who would
> say "we can't give you any more...go to the NIC" Most larger ISP's
> can even reserve a contiguous block for you...and just delegate
> parts at a time...

> Andrew Smith ** [email protected] ** Network Operations ** (713) 968-5800
>    ** "The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay **
>             ** http://www.neosoft.com/neosoft/staff/andrew **

Even so, you may run into trouble when you need your next block of IP
space if the NIC doesn't agree with your allocation policies.  And if you
give out a /24, /23, or /22 to a new ISP but reserve a /19 for them, you
will have under-utilized your old space by the current interpretations used
by the NIC, I believe.  Hey, I don't make the rules.  Neither does Kim,
but she does interpret them.

I would love to know if the NIC is allowing as reasonable reserved
allocations of /19s (of course, /19s won't get past the Sprint route
import filters) for new or even semi-new and expanding ISPs.

"NIC is allowing as reasonable" == when looking at your %age of space
in your total existing allocations that isn't used, an "acceptable"
explanation is that you've reserved it for growth by a set of people.

Avi