Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 02:01:36 1996

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, David C. Kovar wrote:

> >> How many times is it reasonable to ask a customer to renumber?  Once is
> >> certainly reasonable.  Twice is questionable.  More than that and I would
> >> suspect the customer would renumber all right, but as part of shifting to a
> >> different ISP.
> >
> >As many as it takes, This is just something you are going to need to deal
> >with. We started with small blocks and had to renumber several times so
> >far. It is just part of growing, until you are a large NSP connected to
> >all the NAPs you will just need to start will small blocks and renumber
> >over and over until you get /18 or smaller.
>
>   This strikes me as being discriminatory against the smaller ISPs. The
> customers are looking for stability and, from their point of view, being
> forced to renumber several times along with the ISP is unstable and costly.
> They'll look to ISPs who will not force them to renumber, the ones with a
> /18 or smaller already.
>
>   Do you truly believe there is no way to avoid the forced renumbering
> problem for the smaller ISPs?

Look, I know what it is like to be a small ISP, I am still one. I started
my company as a high school project with my Dad's credit card. I think a
lot of ISP get into this thinking it is a easy way to make big bucks. You
you can, but it is hard, and you will need to renumber several times.
They need to just live with it, or get 10 mill and get the NIC to give
you a /18.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34