Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 00:51:04 1996

>> Given the number of new ISPs that come to them for provider independent
>> addresses, they isn't enough IPv4 address space to do the above with.
>Are you sure of this? Even if they start allocating out of the former
>Class A space?

Do the math.  Currently, about 50 new ISP approach InterNIC for
address space per week.  This is up from about 25 6 months ago, so the
growth rate currently quadruples over a year.  Assuming a constant
rate, however, you'd consume all remaining address space in about 8
years.  This does not include large ISPs like Sprint, MCI, etc. that
are allocated /13s and /14s when they need new blocks, nor does it
include the growth from the AP or European regions.  Oh yea, don't
forget the effects of the rush on address space you'd likely get when
people realize the address space is running out very quickly.

>After all, getting a reserved /16 out of the former Class A space
>wouldn't exactly be free because you would need to buy a NAT in order to
>avoid renumbering down the road so not *ALL* ISP's are going to demand
>one of these.

I don't see the point.  If you are going to propose using a reserved
class A, why not use net 10?

Regards,
-drc