Re: Routing table jump

  • From: mike
  • Date: Tue Mar 12 23:04:35 1996

BGP table version is 5943064, main routing table version 5943064
35739 network entries (60290/102278 paths) using 7298508 bytes of memory
5910 BGP path attribute entries using 680968 bytes of memory
3496 BGP route-map cache entries using 55936 bytes of memory
51 BGP filter-list cache entries using 816 bytes of memory
Dampening enabled. 209 history paths, 93 dampened paths

Well, I assume it will go to double until August to about 70000. that's
why I am taking and promotin ga different strategy.
The growth is clearly exponential. It took a small dip because of the
end of the year festivities worldwide (pretty much every country has some
stuff in holidays around end of december until end of Ramadan). Now we
are back on track, my private curve fits again.

This means to all who use routers to do transport *and* routing
calculations/table management on memory bound devices: you're out of
business on 10/1/1996. This is when 'the Internet' crashes. In reality,
it is when all lemmings jump the final cliff, and only the 'bad' ones
will prevail.

Mike

( this is a private statement. Don't get me wrong! mypaycheck is not
involved!)

On
Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Rebecca L. Nitzan wrote:

> Hi:
>
>      Routing tables seem to be taking a jump
> at an alarming rate since last weekend. Is
> everyone else seeing this?
>
> 			-- Becca
>

> Date    #Prefixes
> ------  ---------
> 2/23/96 33790
> 2/29/96 34054
> 3/1/96  33917
> 3/1/96  34261
> 3/2/96  34128
> 3/2/96  33821
> 3/3/96  33391
> 3/3/96  34123
> 3/4/96  34100
> 3/4/96  34446
> 3/5 96  34275
> 3/6/96  34842
> 3/7/96  34183
> 3/8/96  35071
> 3/9/96  34623
> 3/10/96 34500
> 3/11/96 36924
> 3/12/96 38104

                                                   IDT
Michael F. Nittmann                             ---------
Senior Network Architect                        \       /
(201) 928 4456                                   -------
(201) 928 1888 FAX                                \   /
[email protected]                                 ---
                                                   IOS