Re: [NIC-960209.1757] Routing Problem (fwd)

  • From: Dave Siegel
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 00:19:08 1996

> > > But, this would require working with your direct competition in your
> > > local geographic area.
> > >
> > > Ain't gonna happen.
> > >
> > > No way, No How.
> >
> > Why not?  We already have competing TV stations sharing an antenna site, and
> > competing newspapers sharing a printing press and distribution mechanism.
> > I don't see why ISPs couldn't do something similar where it's in everybody's
> > interest.
>
> Newspapers and TV stations are content providers, only a few ISPs are content
> providers.  ISPs are more "packet movers" than anything else, so it comes down
> to who can move packets the best, not who has more appealing packets.  And this
> boils down to technical competance.  I can only see "Internet Content" providers
> banding together.

That and the fact that ISP owners seem to have larger ego's to protect, for
some reason.  You can no longer claim "I have more bandwidth than you do."
It's a pity, really.  It prevents local traffic exchanges from being as
popular as they might, as well.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel		     Sr. Network Engineer, RTD Systems & Networking
(520)623-9663		     Network Consultant -- Regional/National NSPs