Re: Renumbering and the Feb 15-16 NANOG meeting

  • From: Matt Zimmerman
  • Date: Mon Feb 19 13:22:01 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Jon Zeeff wrote:

> I'd like to see a DNS xfer protocol that allowed secondaries to be
> completely updated from a master - ie, the master could send all types
> of updates to the secondary site - mater ip address, domains to handle, etc.

Hmm...so a secondary DNS server would be told by another which primaries it
should trust?  Sounds like trouble to me.  As does allowing remote
creation of zones.  This should not be part of a DNS standard.

Setting aside the security aspect, how would this be implemented?  Would
the secondary server poll the primary at intervals to determine how it
should reconfigure itself?  Or switch to a "server push" method of
transfer?  You're better off setting up a seperate subsystem to manage
the configurations.

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// [email protected]                                       [email protected]
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]