Re: ISP Domain Auction

  • From: Kent W. England
  • Date: Mon Feb 12 18:32:09 1996

At 10:47 AM 2/12/96 +0100, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:

>  > [email protected] (Randy Bush) writes:
>  >
>  > My personal opinion is that the IANA should recommend that the InterNIC
>  > simply unregister the names.
>  >
>  > randy
>
>I second that, especially for the country names.
>
>Daniel

If you read the fine print on the InterNIC application for changing
domain names, the InterNIC reserves the right to review the entire
application as a new application if the change requests a change
to the Organization information.

Therefore, a straightforward attempt to transfer a .COM domain name
to another entity results in a new application for that name. This
makes it smoother to do coordinated transfers, but if InterNIC
re-considers the transfer it makes the rights about what Sean said
he would bid in an earlier message. ($1)

By the way, domain names are not uniquely speculated. About two
years ago, a company widely circulated an offer to sell
1-800-INFO-HIWAY for about US$20,000. I passed.

--Kent