Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Fri Feb 02 17:05:10 1996
  • Posted-date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:55:34 -0800 (PST)

> In message <[email protected]>, Bill Manning writes:
> >
> > 	There were a couple of methods suggested here:
> >
> > 		preemptive hijacking -
> > 		voluntary return -
> > 		periodic fees -
> >
> > 	Hijacking has a number of interesting problems
>
> Bill,
>
> There is no need to call it hijacking.
>
> If an organization registered an address they are responsible for
> keeping the contact name up to date.

 	The kicker is, where are they keeping the data?
	InterNIC ?
	DDNnic?
	RIPEncc?

	The problem is compounded with the InterNIC and the DDNnic
	keeping authoritative data over the same space.  Can you say
	"SRI connected/unconnected database problems"... sure you can.

> This should help with the 60% that can't be contacted.  Yes - I know
> this is work, so don't take this as a complaint that you are doing
> something you should be, just a suggestion for dealing with this
> problem.

	In fact, that is exactly why a robot mailer is not a cureall.
	The process followed is close to yoru description.  Hence a
	slower pace of progress than many would like.  This swamp is
	-deep-.

--bill