Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Nick Hilliard
  • Date: Fri Feb 02 11:56:51 1996

> 	There were a couple of methods suggested here:
>
> 		preemptive hijacking -
> 		voluntary return -
> 		periodic fees -
>
> 	Hijacking has a number of interesting problems
> 	Periodic fees will take a year or more to implement
> 	Voluntary return can be done -now-.
>
> 	Which method is the least stressfull and has reasonable impact
> 	on the existing routing table crunch?

That depends completely on whether you're firefighting the current urgent
problem, or else taking steps to ensure that it's not going to happen in
future.  Ideally both courses of action should be taken.  We're simply
discussing what the long term approach should be.

Hijacking is not an option.  This would *really* mean the end of the
Internet as we know it, and there really would be news at 11!  :-)

Voluntary return is a really good idea, but it relies on good-will (and good
manners) to get a return.  And I'm quite surprised that there were as many
as 15% of prefixes returned in such a short space of time.  But periodic
fees or some similar scheme is necessary.

The matter really boils down to two different psychologies:

	a) The IANA IP number allocations stay in effect until otherwise
	   notified, or

	b) The IANA IP number allocations only stay in effect as long as
	   the IANA are kept informed that they are still in use.

Voluntary return assumes a), and periodic fees (or similar) assumes b).  a)
will get a certain amount of response in the short term, and after that, the
response will be quite low.  b), on the other hand, will gain a very high
response in the short term, and as-high-as-is-possible reponse in the long
term, albeit at the cost of setting up the administrivia to ensure that the
scheme worked.

It's a much more aggressive approach, and it may upset some people
initially, but long term, it could well turn out to be the only viable
option.

> 	There are a wide range of viable alternatives to paying the InterNIC
> 	fees.

Perhaps, but any system which might be implemented to return IP allocations
will take time, effort and hence money.  That the InterNIC should be paid
for their efforts is not unreasonable.

Nick