Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue Jan 30 22:48:22 1996

The zero-settlement scheme works ok as long as interconnected
parties are of about the same size.

That makes them suffer equally from routing bloat.

Incidentally, that was part of the reasoning after Sprint's
IXP peering policy.

In any case having zillions of small ISPs to be at top-level IXPs is
economical and technical insanity, and it seems that it can only be
fixed by rather steep settlements at IXPs to make it a very expensive
prestige shopping.

BTW, "settlements for routes" is a rather interesting thing.
Imagine, say, Sprint peering with Joe Blow Internet-And-Burgers.
Let's assume that route costs $100/yr, so Sprint pays $1M/yr to
JBIB and JBIB pays back $300/yr.  Sounds like a good business
for JBIB :)

The better idea is auctioning and trading the routing slots, though
it is unclear where the proceeds from the initial auction should
go.  Probably to fund the Network Police which would chase the
bootleg route injectors.

I don't know what you make of it, but i think that sucks a lot more
than the zero-sum model we have now.

--vadim
Not speaking for Sprint.

PS  Given the choice between fixing the technology and fixing the
    society it is always more prudent to go after technology.