Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Kim Hubbard
  • Date: Mon Jan 29 00:34:39 1996

> >" The InterNIC allocates addresses to ISPs based on the slow start
> >  procedure as detailed in the ISP guidelines.  Please utilize the /19,
> >  once you have reassigned the /19 and SWIPped them you may request
> >  additional address space and if the InterNIC feels you are assigning
> >  them efficiently you may request additional address space."
>
> Because of this policy ISP's should start getting allocations from
> the InterNIC as soon as possible.  If you get allocations from another
> provider, you don't gain any history with the InterNIC.  All of
> that history goes to the provider's allocations, not yours.  When
> you outgrow a provider (and the provider's provider), and later
> go to the InterNIC, you start over again with 'slow start.'

No, this isn't necessarily true.  Many providers assume that just
because they received a /19 or whatever from its upstream ISP they
will automatically receive a larger block from the InterNIC with
no questions asked.  ISPs must show they've utilized any previously
allocated blocks (whether from the InterNIC or from its upstream)
efficiently to receive additional addresses.  Once they do this
than there's no problem receiving additional space.  If they have
not shown proper utilization than in some cases they will receive
a smaller block to start.

Kim