Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Joel M Snyder, writing fool
  • Date: Sat Jan 27 13:28:45 1996
  • Fruit-of-the-day: guava

I've been following this discussion with great interest.

Let me posit a situation and seek guidance.

Consider a company, perhaps a very, very, small company, which happens to
have a very, very, very popular web site.  For the sake of argument, let's
call this company "Netscape," (although this company isn't Netscape, but
this will create the appropriate picture in your mind).

This company needs only a microscopic amount of address space, something on
the order of a /28.

The company wishes to have more than one connection to the Internet through
more than one of the major providers, for  bandwidth & reliability reasons.

It sounds to me, based on the discussions which have been occurring, that
this company can't do what they want---unless they lie and somehow gobble
up a /18 worth of address space.

Is this true?

jms

PS: Double-numbering hosts won't work;  because of monumentally poor
programming practices on the part of WWW developers, WWW clients do not
discern multiple A records for a given host name.

Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice)  +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)
[email protected]    http://www.opus1.com/jms    Opus One

PLEASE NOTE: The useful parts of Arizona changed
from area code 602 to area code 520 on March 20, 1995.