Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Dorian Kim
  • Date: Sat Jan 27 01:41:07 1996

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, George Herbert wrote:

> I can't speak for Matthew, but many smallish ISPs have legacy /24
> allocations from using Livingston Portmasters and IRXes before they
> could do CIDR (I *think* they solved that problem, but I don't know
> for sure).

If that's the case, it's understandable. We had devil of a time trying to
get longer than /24s to work with cheap equipment some high schools
bought to do their internal networks.

Legacy equipment not being able to do that is something you can't do
anything about, but it's time vendors learned what CIDR is...

-dorian
 Dorian Kim 		  Email: [email protected]		2901 Hubbard Drive
 Network Engineer 	  Phone: (313)998-6976		Ann Arbor MI 48105
 CICNet Network Systems	  Fax:   (313)998-6105      http://www.cic.net/~dorian