Re: value of co-location

  • From: Russ Pagenkopf
  • Date: Fri Jan 19 22:45:08 1996

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996, Kent W. England wrote:
> At 12:24 PM 1/19/96 -0500, Stephen Balbach wrote:
> >Get a 100Mb FDDI or Ethernet connection between the two colocated
> >routers.
> >
> >Then bring in multiple Fast packet services into your router which then
> >aggregates out the LAN port.
> >

> This breaks down when the connection speed goes from DS-3 to OC-3.

I understand this (I think :), but I've a theoretical question.

Assuming the following:

	T1	T1	T1	T1	...
	|	|	|	|	|
	R	R	R	R	R	[R = router]
	|	|	|	|	|
	+-------+-------+-------+-------+
	|	Etherswitch		|
	+---------------+---------------+
			|(A)			[A = 10Mb Ethernet]
	+---------------+---------------+
	|	Cisco 4500		|
	+---------------+---------------+

			T3

Just how many T1->Router->Etherswitch connections can be run through
point A (a single 10Mb ethernet) before things become unbearable (real
world here, I think I can do the math :-)? Should I look at a 100Mb
ethernet port on the 4500 instead of the dual 10M ethernet option?

I'm working on a project for a small NAP, and this concerns me. I'd
rather not do something stupid with the money ;).

rus

Russ Pagenkopf        (406) 542-0838      Internet Services Montana (ism.net)
Hardware and Business Manager		    Connecting the World to Montana
       All questions can be answered thus. NO. YES. MAYBE. EH?