Re: meeting agenda

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Sat Jan 13 22:11:59 1996

.........  Sean Donelan is rumored to have said:
]
] >Hello Alan - Here's a PARTIAL list of presentations we've planned so far:
]
]       inform just those users affected why things aren't working.  Any
]       chance of wedging a "user information" field into the IPng ICMP
]       destination unreachable message?  It would be nice to tell the
]       user in the ICMP message: "Beep BOOP BEEP, We're sorry your
]       packet could not be delivered as addressed due to a ...."  Instead

  Cool!  I could really dig that.  Pop the tcp stack to jive on a
  message, and the hubs and routers could determine the cause...
  Very nice.  My telnet throws back a message via icmp that the site
  is unreachable becuase they don't know how to subnet and flap too
  much.. ;)

  Still doesn't change the fact that IPv6 will never solve any real
  problems.

]       Since the 'net as a whole doesn't fail that often, but pieces
]       of the 'net fail frequently, in-band notification isn't as crazy
]       an idea as it seems.

  Hmm, how about this, any 'decent' ISP engages in a 'subscription'
  broadcast system, where each sites web site was decorated with a
  dynamic list of all significant outages?  And if we, Global
  Internet/MIDnet go south, a nifty little modem dials up to DRA or
  MCI and spouts out our problem description, and this propogates to
  the group.  I don't know the best way to make it happen, but I do
  think with some discussion and brainstorming we could make it
  work.  Jonathon Heiliger (MFS) and I have been working on a draft
  of such a thing, and would appreciate some input.

] Any thoughts how to turn this into a presentation topic?

  This is a good way.  Let's see if others are interested.  I'll see
  you in San Diego, and if nothing else, let's sit down and talk.

  -alan