Pacific Bell NAP Upgrade

  • From: Warren K. Williams
  • Date: Mon Dec 18 15:53:35 1995

Folks,

As you all know, from the past two NANOG meetings, Pacific Bell has been
working on identifying and evaluating a new ATM switch architecture for the
NAP. After looking at several alternatives, I am pleased to announce that we
have decided to deploy Stratacom BPX switches. We are very confident that
this decision will greatly increase the throughput perfomance of traffic
over our ATM environment for the NAP.

The performance issues that we have presented have fallen into two
categories: buffering capacity and backplane speed. The BPX's buffering is
amongst the largest available with a 64,000 cell buffering capacity per
port. It also has a 9.6 Gigabit per second backplane. Our engineering group
has worked extremely hard in testing the performance of the switch in a
TCP/IP environment, with several rigorous test plans. The Stratacom's
performance was very impressive.  At our next customer meeting and at the
next NANOG, we will present a detailed analysis of the results of our
testing and of the capabilities of the new switches. This new switch
architecture will also allow us to offer a solid OC3 access to the NAP.

Along with the new switch announcement, I would also like to inform you of
our plans to add an additional exchange point in Southern California. This
effort is targetted to those providers who foresee their traffic needs
exceeding DS3 access and would be available to both OC3 and DS3 customers.
The exact location and timing has yet to be determined.

More to follow, most likely at the next NANOG.

Warren

       Warren K. Williams, Director - Network Access Point
             Pacific Bell Business Communications Services
  Email: [email protected]          Phone: 510.867.9065