Re: Routing registry was Re: Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x?

  • From: Jeff Barrows
  • Date: Thu Dec 14 11:23:54 1995

 At 10:30 PM 12/13/95, [email protected] wrote:

 >So if they were supposed to use the services of the routing arbiter and
 >appear to have renigged on this, what can anyone do?? Are they determined
 >to make it painfully obvious for all to see that there are no enforcement
 >teeth left at the NSF?

I think you are assuming too much at this point. [About contractually
having to play with the RA.]  You should address that question to Sprint,
rather than the mailing list.  I believe SprintLink has voiced their willingness
to work with any tool that will help the Internet scale better, so long as it
does not have adverse effects on their network.

The last time I checked, the _biggest_ argument against using the RA was that
alot of the data is incorrect.  I have also heard a lot about work that has
been done to clean up the RA.  Is this still the biggest factor?

-Jeff

[mssg. from the nanog archive...]

     | Knowing Sean for who he is, I'm fairly sure that no RADB or RS will ever be
     | suitable to him.  In particular...

  On the contrary; I believe Peter Lothberg's proposals
  for an RS scheme are quite reasonable.

  I think his criticisms of the current RADB and RS models
  are pretty well known, and valid.

  I would point out one more thing though, and that's that
  at the Stockholm IETF I had a genial chat with a number
  of folks from MERIT and the RA Team in general,
  and suggested several ways that the RADB could
  be made incrementally useful.   I hope that some good
  comes out of that conversation.

  I'll use any tool that will make my job easier, and
  help our operation and the Internet scale better.
  At the moment, though, the RADB does the opposite,
  and the RS has no value whatsoever.

  	  Sean.