Re: Routing registry was Re: Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x?

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Wed Dec 13 17:56:32 1995
  • Posted-date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 14:05:38 -0800 (PST)

> OK.  So WHY AREN"T people using the routing registry?  If they did would
> they be able to get around individual peering and transit agreements?  Is
> it a chicken and egg thing.  IE what percentage of global routes does the
> registry have?  how does the registry as it stands now save people time,
> trouble or money?

	for answers to some of these questions, I would point you
	at the following URL:
	http://www.merit.edu/routing.arbiter/RA/index.html

	The IRR has little to do with peering & transit, other
	than to reflect agreements.

	Other questions will have to be answered by people in
	the community.  Many people do register in the IRR.
	Those that don't, won't for a variety of reasons. For some,
	there is an unwillingness to trust a thirdparty operator
	coupled with no desire to run a portion of the registry in-house.
	When these two conditions are found in a large-scale provider,
	the concept and implementation of the Internet RR are
	frustrated to the extent that the non-participating provider
	becomes increasingly unreachable/understandable.  They
	are relegated to peridoc public postings to mailing lists
	for definitions of their routing policies.

	I expect that the example set by other large-scale providers
	would be an incentive.  Running a section of the IRR inhouse
	shows a spirit of cooperation and a desire to share in the
	global internet. Refusal to do so appears, at least to me,
	to be an arrogant, egotistical view about any specific providers
	importance to a working global internet.

--bill