Re: routing problem

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Wed Dec 13 17:35:24 1995

> i hope this is appropriate for this list.
>
> 192.108.254.0/24 is being announced from as5798 via as3130 and as3838.
> we have an radb entry for it.  there was an mci entry until monday
> night.  but as of today (wednesday) we still get all incoming traffic
> via as3130.  outgoing seems to be fairly well balanced between our
> providers, so the theory says that we should get about equal data in
> from them too.

Actually, incoming and outgoing are often/usually controlled by totally
different mechanisms.

For example, how are you doing load balancing?   By having the Cisco throw
packets alternately out each port?  By having it do so on a connection-
oriented basis ('ip route-cache' as opposed to 'no ip route-cache')?
Or do you take full or partial routes from your providers?

> maybe some of you can look at your routers and help me figure out why
> we aren't getting any data in via as3838.
>
> any other clues would be greatly appreciated as well.

I think in general the most appropriate thing is to first contact
the NOC for ASN 3838 (Structured Network Systems).  Or since it's
not cutting you off from the net, send e-mail to [email protected]
[info gleaned from the whois records].

But I see only one route for you.  The tail of the AS-Path is
1239 1792 3130 5798.

Perhaps you're not sending 192.108.254.0/24 to AS 3838?
Or they've filtered it?

Avi