Re: outages, quality monitoring, trouble tickets, etc

  • From: Matt Zimmerman
  • Date: Thu Nov 30 17:47:40 1995

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> The policy toward AS4006 was set to 1:3561 2:1239 based on the
> advisories for the 3 AS4006 nets that existed when we froze the
> aut-num.  If you add prefixes to AS4006, you don't have to do
> anything except to make sure to register route objects with the
> correct origin AS.

The prefix in question was one of these three, and our networks seem to
be talking just fine.  The fact that our system also sends and receives
hundreds of messages to/from AOL customers every day would seem to suggest
further that the original problem was/is with AOL.  Of course, the fact
that a good percentage of their servers don't respond to pings from
here makes it difficult to isolate when this is happening.  Are they
just broken in this aspect, or is this another symptom of a connectivity
problem between us? (I just tried this from another location outside our
network, and trying to ping a.mx.aol.com produced a _segfault_ (Solaris
box)...what's going on here?)

// Matt Zimmerman       Chief of System Management           NetRail, Inc.
// [email protected]                                       [email protected]
// (703) 524-4800 [voice]    (703) 524-4802 [data]    (703) 534-5033 [fax]