Re: Westnet and Utah outage

  • From: Edward Henigin
  • Date: Wed Nov 29 10:11:29 1995

	Other people have touched on it, but I'd like to re-iterate:

	The quality that someone can expect out of their Internet connection,
as a practical matter, will somewhat vary with how much they're willing to
pay.  It seems to me that giving someone <<1% downtime is an expensive
level of service.  The Internet market today is not one where most customers
question the providers on the level of service; quite contrarily they
question the providers on how cheap they can go.  This type of market
will be cost driven, and for my $19.95 unlimited PPP account, do you think
my ISP will be able to give me <<1% inaccessibility?  Not without operating in
the red, I don't think.

	I think most ISP's would be *delighted* to offer customers
Very High Quality service, but few customers are willing to pay for that
service.  As a result, the final judgement of "how good is good enough"
will be "whatever the customer can live with," as compared to anything
that engineers like (ie 1%, 5%, etc).

	Ed
	[email protected]

	(p.s. you notice I'm brushing aside the first question, being
"how do I *measure* the quality of service."  Offhand, a weighted average
of all of the components that a given customer needs for a connection
makes the most sense to me.)