Re: Seeing Double

  • From: Mike
  • Date: Thu Nov 23 03:54:31 1995

I just look at ip bgp sum and see that I a mnow at 32600. abot 1000 more
thatn last week.

currently we seem to gain 1000/mo;

Mike

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Scott Huddle wrote:

>  	There is an often quoted statistic of the Internet
> doubling every 12 months.  If we look at a snippet of
> data from the old NSFNet data from ANS, we can see this
> pretty clearly...
>
> 	Month		Inbound
> 			Gigapackets/mo
> 	9409		36
> 	9410		44
> 	9411		45
> 	9412		46
> 	[...]
> 	9409		71
> 	9410		85
> 	9411		90
> 	9412		78
> 	9501		71
> 	9502		57
> 	9503		64
> 	9504 		36
>
> (the decrease after November due to the different NSF regionals
> transitioning to their new providers)
>
> While it was never possible to have a view of all of the traffic
> on the Net, these NSFNet stats were useful as a representative
> sample of the entire whole.  In particular, this doubling time
> is quite useful as a metric to try and judge general network
> growth and for planning.  Obviously several things in the past
> year have occured that have greatly shortened this time.  Amongst
> them the explosion of Web traffic and interactive applications,
> the huge number of new companies connecting their coporate LANS
> to the Net, the [I'm running out of synoymns for enormous, ah]
> enormous number of new companies selling and promoting Net and
> Web services.  This is coupled with the big increase in
> infrastructure that ISPs and NSPs have built that help move all
> these bits about.
>
> I've see a few guesses on this list as to a doubling rate, but
> I'm wondering if there is a way to judge this growth in some
> sort of external and non-proprietary way.
>
> Perhaps a relationship between "average traffic" and the number
> of routes?  This probably wouldn't hold in the specific
> (because of the degree of use of CIDR at a particular ISP),
> but may hold in the aggregate. Thinking caps?
>
> -scott ([email protected])
> MCI Internet Engineering

                                                   IDT
Michael F. Nittmann                             ---------
Senior Network Architect                        \       /
(201) 928 1000 xt 500                            -------
(201) 928 1888 FAX                                \   /
[email protected]                                         ---
                                                   IOS