Re: Kind Words of Caution

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 23:01:20 1995

  This letter is kind of ironic, is't it?

  For those of you who are not familar with the English word "ironic"
  I kindly include 2 short blurbs from Websters dictionary.

  :)

-alan

iron.ic \i--'ra:n-ik\ \-i-k*l\ \-k(*-)le-\ \-k*l-n*s\ aj 1: relating to,
   containing, or constituting irony 2: given to irony - iron.i.cal aj

iro.ny \'i--r*-ne-\ n [L ironia, fr. Gk eiro-nia, fr. eiro-n dissembler] 1:
   a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in
   order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit
   questioning 2a: the use of words to express something other than and esp.
   the opposite of the literal meaning 2b: a usu. humorous or sardonic
   literary style or form characterized by irony 2c: an ironic expression or
   utterance 3a1: incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of
   events and the normal or expected result 3a2: an event or result marked by
   such incongruity 3b: incongruity between a situation developed in a drama
   and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience
   but not by the characters in the play 4: an attitude of detached awareness
   of incongruity typical of the depictor or observer of an ironic situation

.........  Tim Bass is rumored to have said:
]
]
] Nanog,
]
] Before we begin to retire into the slow holiday mode of operation,
] I would like to offer this simple thought as a word of caution
] for those engaged in internetworking discussions.
]
] Last week, someone asked a valid question about pending and potential
] problems with aggregation and address space portability issues.  The
] initial response was a statement validating that concern with hopes
] of a developing a fruit bearing discussion on this very controversial
] " in the closet " topic.  The public process then followed the common
] disturbing direction that always clouds the issues (especially on the
] potential non-technical problems of aggregation) and effectively
] destroyed any prospect of meaningful interchange.
]
] I kindly caution many on this list, as internetworking topics are discussed
] related to Internet operations, *not* to be seduced by those skillful
] at pedantic discussions that obfuscate any controversial position
] that they disagree.  Especially on the Internet, many are seduced by
] those who obfuscate the facts by pedantic side discussions and this
] important list is no exception.
]
] For those of you who are not familar with the English word "pedant"
] I kindly include a short blurb from Websters dictionary.
]
] pedant, n. 1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate show of
]               learning. 2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor
]               details....
]
] I kindly caution those unfamiliar with pedantic postings and the use
] of pedanticism on mailing lists to understand when to recognize these
] email postings and responses that tend to be pedantic in nature.
] Pedanticism can be used very effectively to seduce the public into
] refocusing the discussion from a logical argument that cannot be won nor
] argued convincingly, to one that is tangential to the topic.  Often
] these pedantic responses clearly and effectively allow the poster
] to change the subject and then demonstrate their "knowledge" in a
] tangential or related subject area which they are well versed. As you
] can see, this clearly obfuscates the original concerns and issues.
]
]
] As we approach 1996, I only caution out of kind regard for tangible
] progress in building internet services to practice recognizing
] when 'hawks and eagles' and other high flying posters enjoy easily
] seducing the general audience with pedanticism, either intentional
] or unintenional.
]
] Practicing, in your own mind, to discern and recognize pedantic email
] discussions helps all of us who care about enjoying 'meaningful,
] tangible discussions' to think with clear comprehension.  It is very
] well documented in civilized history that pure intellect and logic
] without attempting to include elements of patience and kindness,
] is *not* wisdom.  Wisdom is the pursuit and practice of intellect
] with patience and understanding of others.  For all of us, especially
] me, the pursuit of changing raw technical excellence to refined
] wisdom is a very challenging life pursuit.  I work daily to improve my
] self-awarenedd in this area because, as an electrical engineer, I once
] believed that the 'intellect of building systems' was more important
] than the 'less intelligent ' society we engineer systems to benefit.
]
] This manner of thinking is clearly flawed and those, including myself,
] who are attracted to 'higher education' and intellectual pursuits
] have a nature human tendency to be seduced by this incomplete position.
] What is less common is to find those same individuals who recognize
] this and tend to pursuit wisdom as well as intellect.
]
] Kind Regards,
]
] Tim
]
] PS: Please enjoy safe travel during the holiday weekend. I'm heading
]     out to stay with family in Tennessee and face a long 10 hour
]     drive as well.
]
] | Tim Bass                           | #include<campfire.h>                |
] | Principal Network Systems Engineer |       for(beer=100;beer>1;beer++){  |
] | The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |           take_one_down();          |
] |                                    |           pass_it_around();         |
] | http://www.silkroad.com/           |       }                             |
] |                                    |  back_to_work(); /*never reached */ |
]
]