AS690 advisory update

  • From: Steve Heimlich
  • Date: Mon Nov 13 12:17:33 1995

Folks,

As previously mentioned, ANS is moving to a new configuration system
which will eliminate the need for registering AS690 advisories with
RIPE-181 route objects.  Our initial deployment described below
has gone well, and as a result we will freeze our aut-num (currently
still machine generated based on advisories) on Friday, 11/17, at
midnight ET (Saturday, 11/18, 5am GMT).  Tuesday morning's AS690
config run will use the frozen aut-num.

After this time, AS690 advisories will be ignored.  Policy toward
routes registered in the IRR will be based solely on origin AS.
The origin AS will be expanded to the set of route objects registered
for that origin AS; the resulting list of prefixes will be used in
generating router configurations, as today.

Refinement of AS690 import policies will begin on a per AS basis
next week, starting with large origin ASes.  The human readable
version of the 18,000 line AS690 aut-num is currently available
at:

  ftp://ftp.ans.net/pub/info/routing-stats/aut-num-as-690

Steve

--------