Re: links on the blink (fwd)

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Thu Nov 09 12:08:53 1995

In message <[email protected]>, Andrew Partan writes:
> > >         a/ people MUST withdraw as many prefixes as possible
> > >         b/ the background route-flap MUST be reduced
> >
> > You could also take routing from the RA route servers.  This would
> > solve your problem.  I think this was mentioned at the last NANOG
> > meeting so it is not a new solution either.
>
> The RA does route aggregation?  I didn't know that.  So I can send it
> all of my more specifics and it will aggregate them for me?  Neat.
> 	--asp

It just reduces route flap by doing BGP dampenning plus reducing the
number of peering session you need to maintain.  That helps with b/ in
the list above.

As Sean pointed out if your network is imploding, possibly because the
flap is within your own network (you pointed out at NANOG that this
may be the problem for SprintLink and AlterNet), then there is nothing
the RS can do to help you.

Curtis