Re: More on IPSPA.ORG

  • From: Mike Nasto
  • Date: Sun Nov 05 19:49:05 1995

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Gordon Cook wrote:

> What are we to do when in the middle of $$$ goldrush we essentially have
> the internet composed of groups that other than keeping it operating
> share very little in the way of common motivations and goals?
>
> With the CIX I have seen a recognition of a need to change and some new
> directions floated.  Yet I have seen nothing to suggest that the
> organizations policy has really reached outside that of ithe
> organizations of its board members.  Last time I looked at the CIX web
> they touted about 200 members....all in a nice single list with no
> distinction of how many had paid the $7,500 price of membership as
> opposed to the new and minimal $1,000.
>
> I believe that internet business model issues will be critical next
> year.  Starting with quality of service issues that hans Werner has
> written about here and going on to issue of traffic or route based
> settlements, and fall out from CIDR routing issues, there are straws in
> the wind that could make 1996 a year of crunch by the largest two dozen
> ISPs against the rest.
>
> I perceive Tim's call as being directed at the rest..... most of which
> are too busy trying to figure out how to cost effectively serve new
> customers than to organize.  I hear rumblings about a new world
> federation of internet groups.  Sounds good to me.  Cause with the RBOCs
> and Cable banging at the door, ISOC fumbling just as badly as the CIX,
> people suggesting that the IETF needs to incorporate but no one there
> finding time to do it, I sure do wonder who and/or what will ever manage
> to preserve and protect the internet vision?

I agree.  Lets manage ourselves before we get managed.

Michael A. Nasto                        Customer Support Manager
NYSERNet, Inc.                          Phone: 315-453-2912 x 256
200 Elwood Davis Road                   Fax: 315-453-3052
Suite 103                               Email: [email protected]
Liverpool, NY 13088-6147                       [email protected]