Re: MAE-East

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Tue Oct 24 00:04:03 1995

Sarcasm warning....

> From: Sean Doran <[email protected]>
>   A couple quick points:  the place to go to for this kind
> of thing should be your direct service provider, who hopefully
> has some means of communicating with upstream and peer providers
> when things are going wrong somehow, or at least might be
> able to give you some additional information.

It should not surprise you that I am no stranger to the folks at my
"direct service provider", on either the local or national sides....

>   NANOG and other lists aren't appropriate places to discuss
> specific problems.  OTOH, general problems, such as how big
> the Internet is and how saturated well-known-things seem to
> be and what might be done about it, could be OK here.

IMnsHO, the _only_ way to discuss engineering is with specific problems!

NANOG is damn well the appropriate place to discuss _this_ specific
problem!  The problem is trying to cram the entire world's traffic
through a few NAPs, instead of many MIXs.  The problem is the outright
failure of the design of the first NAPs, particularly the MAE-East
"ethernet" and the "ATM" NAPs.  The problem is scaling, and the
_cheapness_ of the commercial providers in failing to provide widespread
interconnections with each other.

>   I should also note that Sprint and MCI are in the final
> phases of negotiating direct point-to-point peerings which
> will pop up in several areas, and improve connectivity
> between SprintLink and InternetMCI.  You wouldn't be far off
> in expecting this to become something of a trend,
> particularly among a small number of the large heavy-traffic
> providers, for whom the NAP/MAE/FIX concepts and models
> don't seem to be scaling well in practice.

You mean, we might end up with a Network instead of a Treework!?!?

Halleluia!

[email protected]