Re: What is SPAM? - was Re: Legislative Relief - was Re: Motion...

  • From: Larry J. Plato
  • Date: Tue Oct 17 00:22:12 1995

> It is a meat-like substance which is delivered in a tin can.  It can be quite
> good for breakfast with eggs if you can stand the grease content.

I don't think it looks like meat.  It's sort of a pink, semi-homogenous,
gelatinatious mass.  I think Hormell (tm) uses SPAM as an acronym
for Sorta Pink And Mutilated but I digress ;)

> spam:  Any posting which contains an advertisement of a product.

You mean like your email .sig?

> posting:  Any peice of electronic material found either in a UseNet NewsGroup,
> 	  public mailing list (listserv), or a private mailing list.

You mean like this message?

I don't really think you're message was spam.  I was making a point.

> I really don't see what the big deal is in all this.

I think you are right that EVENTUALLY people will realize that spam
is bad for business.  In the meantime, if people can find technical
solution, that's great.  If they can't I certainly don't want to
get the lawyers involved.  SPAM is bad, but some cures are worse
than the disease,

Larry

Sig included as a reference