Re: Motion for a new POST NSF AUP

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Mon Oct 16 13:24:58 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> > From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email protected]>
> > I disagree, strongly.  I think anti-spam messages, sent to the
> > postmasters of the respective ISP's that provide service to the
> > spammers, is perfectly acceptable.  Otherwise, there is no cost to the
> > ISP's for providing service to the spammers.
> >
> Good idea!  I've only been sending to the perpetrator (which sometimes
> bounces).

Heres a better solution:  Only send to the postmasters.  I was involved
(from the "bouncing site" perspective) with a spam in which the
perpetrator would have been charged with felonies in at least two
states.  However, the internet community tipped the individual off by
determining his email address and sending him email cc'd to the
postmaster of the site.  As a result, the perpetrator wasn't caught in
the act, and a case could not be built.

[email protected]