Re: BGP4 peering wiht Sprint, and MCI

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Mon Oct 16 12:09:58 1995

In message <[email protected]>, Nathan Strat
ton writes:

> We have a 486 DX4 100 with 40 megs of ram running FreeBSD and gated with a
> T1 to Sprint and a T1 to MCI. I have a few questions that someone may be
> able to answer.
>
> If my Sprint T1 goes down, how long will it take for route to drop out of
> the routing table?

If the interface is marked down, worst case is 15 seconds for gated to
scan the interfaces.  Since most interfaces don't get marked down when
signal is lost, you are likely to end up waiting the BGP 180 second
timeout (assuming you are running BGP).  You can set BGP to send
keepalives more often, though this can be a bad idea for other
reasons.  The holdtime is always 3 time the keepalive interval.

> I have peering going with sprint and MCI and I have about 31,000 routes
> in my routing table. When I called up sprint and MCI they said they were
> not getting routes form me. How do I advertize my CIDR blocks to sprint
> and mci via BGP4?
>
> I have:
>
> 204.17.64.0/24
> 204.183.0.0/19
> 205.215.0.0/18

near the top:

  aggregate 204.17.64.0 masklen 24 {
    proto <your-igp> {
      204.17.64.0 masklen 24 refines;	# assuming you have only subnets
    };
  };
  aggregate 204.183.0.0 masklen 19 {
    proto <your-igp> {
      204.183.0.0 masklen 19 refines;	# accept any subnmet into the aggr
    };
  };

near the bottom:

  export proto bgp 3651 {