Re: Comments on Routing and Allocation Policy Wanted

  • From: Patrick Horgan
  • Date: Mon Oct 02 15:17:50 1995

> From: Sanjay Dani <[email protected]>
>

> Alternatively, if you want to SMTP over email for a domain over the
> dialup connection, assign the PPP client a primary MX record and a
> fully connected server on the PPP server's network a secondary. The
> PPP reconnect script on the client can be instrumented to flush the
> outgoing queue and also send email to pseudo alias on the secondary
> MX server that triggers a flush of its incoming queue for your domain.
> You have to make sure you dialup at least once every three days or so.
>
> This strategy requires the PPP client have a static IP.
>
> Sanjay.

Sanjay is quite right:)  I missed this because of my own assumptions.
I'd like to be able to read mail from home via pop and from work via
an NFS mounted spool directory.  Sanjays solution is one that works
quite well if you want to only read your mail remotely, i.e. you might
be in a situation where you have no direct access to read mail on the
normal mailhost.

Another possibility that neither of us has mentioned is to have the
mailhost use uucp delivery for your mail domain.  Then it queues in
the uucp spool until your machine calls (or until the mailhost calls
you if you have it set up that way.)

Patrick
  /  These opinions are mine, and not Verity's (except by coincidence;).  \
 |  Patrick J. Horgan         Verity Inc.                 \\    Have       |
 |  [email protected]        1550 Plymouth Street         \\  _ Sword     |
 |  Phone : (415)960-7600     Mountain View                 \\/    Will    |
 |  FAX   : (415)960-7750     California 94303             _/\\     Travel |