Re: number of unaggregated class C's in swamp?

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Sep 29 15:49:29 1995

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Mark Kent wrote:

> Maybe if the core routers are going to start filtering
> it should be on a schedule like this:
>
>   Announce now that by Oct 1, 1996 no individual /24 will be routed.

This is a reasonable timetable.

>   Filter 204/24 and 205/24  on Oct 31, 1995
>   Filter 202/24 and 203/24  on Nov 30, 1995

This is not!

The great bulk of the world, especially management types, gets their
technical news with a 4 to 6 month time delay from glossy technical
magazines. This delay is due to the time required for writers to
reasearch and write as well as the time required for the setup and the
presswork. For an example of what I mean, pick up the latest copy of
Internet World and read through the news pieces.

If this kind of thing *IS* seriously contemplated, you have to push the
startup of it out at least 6 months and then start writing some serious
press releases to distribute to all the major technical media as well as
traditional media. I think the magnitude of the problem deserves some
press conferences as well. When the media are bombarded by press releases
from Merit, NANOG, Sprint, ANS and so on, they will sit up, take notice,
ask questions and report to the world what you want to do and why it is
neccessary.

Then when the technical guru says to his boss, "We have to renumber all
300 machines in the office by next month end". The boss will understand
why and the renumbering will actually get done.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: [email protected]