Re: number of unaggregated class C's in swamp?

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Sep 29 11:50:46 1995

> From: Brian Renaud <[email protected]>
> Here is the breakdown of 198 in the radb, showing the number of
> route objects registered in 198 for /14 through /24.
>
>                         prefix length
> prefix   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24
> ------ ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
>  198.*    4    5   39    5   19   30   41   67   98  137 5314

This is interesting, showing how bad assignment has been even
_after_ CIDR.  5K sites migrating providers in 2 years.

However, I was looking for the older and hoarier problem of 192 and 193.
That's where the mostest bang for the buck will occur if we can move
long prefix folks into their respective RA blocks.

That's also where we will learn about the problems with renumbering
relatively older routers and hosts.

And that's where folks _deserve_ a break, since they didn't have CIDR
allocation in the first place, due to _our_ lack of foresight.

So, I'll come by Merit, and see if we can pick a few 192/24s in your AS,
and figure out the overall scope of effort that is needed to renumber
192 and 193.  Thanks.

Merit will be a good starting point, since they already made their sites
renumber out of net 35 about 6 years ago!  There will be experience
which can be built upon.

[email protected]