Re: 206.82.160.0/22

  • From: Noel Chiappa
  • Date: Sun Sep 24 18:55:03 1995

    From: Nick Williams <[email protected]>

    If a registries' actions or lack thereof hurt someone else's business they
    may end up being liable in court for it

Oh, great, let's put the registries out of business. I mean, who needs the
aggravation, and the threat of being sued?

    I urge registries to consider charging for their address space delegation
    services

This is absolutely not the solution. This still does nothing to slow the
growth of the routing tables, which is the *real problem*, &^%[email protected]$*#&^%! I
mean, how is it going to stop me moving from provider A to provider B and
wanting to take my addresses with me if I had to pay for the addresses?

The only charging scheme that I can see working is to charge people for
advertising routes, with the charge related to the scope over which the
advertisement is seen. That way, there's a direct relationship between the
amount of resources consumed, and the amount charged, which is utterly fair.

Note that if you have a "fully" "portable" address (i.e. one advertised over a
global scope), your monthly bill will go up as the Internet gets larger, under
this scheme...

    If registries can make decent allocation decisions ... then I argue that
    routing table growth will be curbed and that IPv4 address space utilization
    effeciency will rise.

First, you're talking about two completely separate problems. Let's keep
address space utilization out of it for now, OK?

Second, even if registries did allocate addresses optimally, what happens when
those sites move around, something the registries have no control over?

    > "Sorry, we are only able to provide you with partial Internet service
    > at the moment because Sprint doesn't like the addresses we assigned you".

    It is costly, as the solution is to become a client of Sprint. So,
    everyone, can we find a solution?

That may solve it for Sprint, but suppose you have the same problem with otehr
major providers? Do you have to get a link to each of them? When does this
cease to become distinguishable (costwise) for charging for routes - actually,
the latter would probably be less expensive.

	Noel