Re: Request for Comments on a topological address block for N. Calif.

  • From: Andrew Partan
  • Date: Sun Sep 24 02:56:28 1995

> I propose that a large block (say, /8 to /10) be allocated to an
> independent authority which will then reallocate growable blocks to
> small to mid level ISPs in the northern california region who are
> connecting via providers attached to MAE-W, CIX, or PacBell's NAP and
> topologically "at" those connect points.  These addresses can then be
> filtered out of announcements to routers anywhere else in the world and
> replaced with a /8 aggregate announcement; only routers within the
> topology zone would require full information on the connected
> entities.  These addresses will be relatively easy to dual-home within
> the area, yet will have minimal impact on the global routing
> infrastructure.

I don't think that this will work for a business viewpoint - someone
will end up giving at least some of these ISPs free transit.

See the attached message that I sent to big-internet earlier this
month.  My comments apply to metro-based addressing or
interconnect-based addressing or similar schemes.
	[email protected] (Andrew Partan)