Re: Authority over IANA & IP #s was Re: 206.82.160.0/22

  • From: Hans-Werner Braun
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 14:34:44 1995

>Are we hearing then that **ARPA has given up any and all of its authority
>over IANA**?  That DOD no longer claims to own IP numbers? Hans Werner,
>I'd prefer for you to be precisely correct in your assertion about the
>public property nature of IANA, IP numbers etc.  I'd love to thank Arpa
>for giving freedom to IANA and DOD for doing the same to IP numbers.  But
>I have not seen any evidence that they have indeed done this.  If they
>have perhaps the relevant people  at ARPA and DOD would come out and
>confirm just exactly what they consider their current authority over IANA
>and IP numbers to be?

Gordon:

Ahem, while yours is a reasonable response (and I would not mind at all
seeing an answer to your questions), I don't think I said what you
think I was saying. I said "formally ... personal property of the IANA
..." ... "fostered and allowed to transition to the international
private sector." The process has more or less transitioned, with close
to all of the actual decisions not being made by the US DoD or the
IANA, and most certainly not in isolation. For that matter, I remember
many years ago the IANA having actually *asked* for guidance from more
sectors of the community, so the right things would happen. In that
sense the community (we all, myself included) screwed up by not working
more *with* the IANA). They are not evil, neither is the InterNIC.

I suppose that the Internet at large has alot of leverage with the
Internet. If all its clients in the world would get together and agree
to "roll their own," perhaps starting with the old IP addresses, what
leverage would ARPA have? I guess it would be pretty close to zero.
Just nobody has the guts or stamina to pull that off, especially since
it would be an organizational nightmare. All this stuff is more work
than it seems from the outside. All it takes is to get everyone to
agree to hijack the address space. Start at the IEPG, may be, then
work downwards from there. With lots of antacid handy you may even
make it.

We don't even have systemic Internet management, and until someone or
some organization pulls such a thing off, may be we should be happy
that things are as organized as they are, and move on from here, and
focus on requirements, rather than perceptions.

Hans-Werner