Re: Other flapping prefixes. Compare and contrast.

  • From: Larry J. Plato
  • Date: Mon Sep 11 13:30:42 1995

> Well, while Sean's wording at times is, ahem, suboptimal, he is
> referring to a real problem in the Internet System, and in fact one
> that the North American Network Operators Group should take
> responsibility for, at least for the North American part. The problem
> is what others believe is a strength: an anarchic system of many
> autonomous service providers with little or no service model/metrics
> (neither for the local nor for the system level), and no well defined
> rules of conduct for interoperation and problem resolution.

... stuff deleted ...

> This all should be critical to the NANOG agenda if the service
> providers would want to continue to provide quality services.
>
> I think it is an attitude problem of people largely caring about their
> own swamp.

And to make matters more confusing, not all service providers
agree on what level of service should be provided.  I think the
NANOG is the perfect place to discuss what we think should be the
minimum acceptable service level, as well as what can be expected
in terms of inter-provider help and cooperation.  Sean's comments
are, in my opinion, useful as a basis for discussion, and completely
appropriate.  I think we all need to discuss our expectations in
an open forum.  We may never agree, but at least we can disagree
politely,

Larry Plato
ANS Network Operations

include <std.disclaimer>