Re: Flapping prefixes and dialup networks. Discuss.

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon Sep 11 01:54:43 1995

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Sean Doran wrote:

> Subject: nisc-03292 (ticket update) badly flapping prefix (204.4.27/24)
>
> Ticket #nisc-03292 	09/10/95-18:12:08 silvera 	SUBJECT: badly flapping prefix (204.4.27/24)
> Posted by: Aaron Silver
> ----------
>

> Sean,
> 	The customer that this network belongs to is a dial-up customer, and
> as such, when his connection is up, we broadcast his network IP, and stop
> broadcasting when he disables his connection. We are unable to prevent his
> route from propagating in the face of what could be frequent log-in/log-outs.
>
> Aaron Silver
> PSI Customer Support

Aaron, have you never heard of aggregation? Can't you aggregate this
customer's route with other /24's and thus hide their comings and goings
from the entire global Internet. Can you imagine what would happen if
every dialup network in the world announced itself every time it logged
in or out of it's service provider?

This is not only anitsocial behaviour on the part of PSI, but you are in
effect, holding your customer up to ridicule before the world by
announcing their every coming and going. IMHO this is an extremely poor
attitude to have towards your customers.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: [email protected]