Re: CIDR FAQ

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Tue Aug 15 20:42:21 1995

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Tony Li wrote:

>    Ok, yes you are correct you can't drop a DS3 into the back of a PC, but
>    why not use a 4500 or 7000 for your ds3's and then use a PC to do the
>    major BGP4? On a 4500 I only can put in 32 megs or ram. Yes gated will
>    use more ram for the same number of routes, but I can put 128 meg or more
>    in a PC.
>
>    I think we need to talk about using PC route servers and cisco together
>    for a solution, the cisco's just can't hold the ram needed.
>
> That's why there's the 4500M, and the 7000, and ...

and ... ? And what? That is the problem, I go out get a 7000 and then
need more ram in a few month I need to get a new router that is vary
expensive.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800			       NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite B-5
Email   [email protected]                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest