Re: One alternative to CIDR... ASAP

  • From: Vince Fuller
  • Date: Sun Aug 13 23:35:36 1995
  • Phone: (415) 528-7227
  • Usmail: 3801 East Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

    People keep sending me e-mail asking for my ideas on alternatives to
    renumbering and CIDR.  Here is a very rough strawman idea just
    posted to the CIDRD-WG.  There are similar variations on this
    ASN routing paradigm that also could be considered:

I'd suggest that those considering this proposal also peruse the archives of
the IPAE mailing list, since IPAE (IP Address Encapsulation) was, at least in
its earlies form, precisely this - a mechanism for encapsulating IP addresses
in such a way as to create an inter-AS routing scheme using a separate, 32-bit
address space.

If memory serves, there have also been other earlier proposals for doing
AS-to-AS routing using either a separate address space or using IP options -
I believe the Big-Internet mailing list archives contains volumnous discussion
of these techniques.

Re-inventing a square wheel doesn't make it roll any better...

	--Vince